SADDLEBACK COLLEGE, BUSINESS SCIENCE DIVISION, COURSE SYLLABUS
CIM 1 - COMPUTER INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Professor Patricia Sullivan
Examination of computer information systems and their role in business including computer hardware and software, communications and networking concepts, programming techniques, e-commerce, ethics and security, database management systems, Internet usage, and system and application software. Students apply these concepts and methods through hands-on projects to develop computer-based solutions to business problems.
Upon completion of this course, the student will be able to:
1. Describe existing and emerging technologies and their impact on organizations and society.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the development and use of information systems in business.
3. Demonstrate the ability to solve common business problems using appropriate Information Technology applications and systems, including spreadsheet and database software, and Internet technologies.
4. Demonstrate the ability to apply Internet security concepts when using Internet technologies, including email, World Wide Web, chat, instant messaging, podcasts, video, internet search, uploading and downloading, blogs, social networking, and e-commerce.
5. Define terms that are unique to the field of computers and information systems.
6. Describe the functions and uses of the hardware and software comprising a computer system.
7. Describe computer ethics, crime, and security.
8. Demonstrate the ability to locate, evaluate, synthesize, use, and communicate information in its various formats.
9. Compile a portfolio of computer-based, problem-solving, business related computer projects.
STUDENT RESOURCES: To complete this course you need
1) To purchase the REQUIRED TEXTBOOK BUNDLE (described below)
2) Have access to a computer with Online Web access and Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, Excel, Access)
o You may use Saddleback College’s IMC Computer Lab (BGS 248) or use your own PC computer
REQUIRED Textbook Bundle: Discovering
Computers -- Complete Student Success, Misty E. Vermaat, Copyright Year: 2014, Publisher: Cengage,
Purchase at the Saddleback Bookstore ($161.00) or Online thru the Publisher ($135.00)
To purchase the books online, follow the Instructions at http://www.plsullivan.com/14cim1/info/How-to-order-textbooks.htm
This Textbook Bundle includes the following BOOKS:
DISCOVERING COMPUTERS 2014
MS EXCEL 2013 COMPLETE
MS ACCESS 2013 COMPLETE
WINDOWS 7 ESSENTIALS
PAC SAM 2013 ASSESSMENT TRAIN
2) Online Web access and Microsoft Office 2013 (On- or Off-Campus?)
a. ON-CAMPUS--YOU MAY USE SADDLEBACK COLLEGE‘S COMPUTER LAB (IMC, LOCATED IN BGS 248)
i. Students are NOT required to purchase a computer or software for this class-all classwork may be completed in our on-campus IMC computer lab-- BGS 248 Hours: Monday thru Thursday 8:30 am – 8:00 pm, and Saturday 9:00 am – 1:00 pm. The IMC provides students with computers, software (MS OFFICE), and instructional help (assists students as needed--IMC staff does not provide tutoring services). If you use the IMC, you will need a 1GB (or larger) USB flash disk to store your files.
b. OFF-CAMPUS--If you choose to complete your computer assignments off campus, you need:
--A computer with the Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating system
--Microsoft Office 2013 (Excel, Access, Word)
--Internet access---Check to see if your computer system is ready to go.
you do not own Microsoft Office 2013 (Word, Excel, Access), you can purchase a
fully-licensed, fully functional copy of Microsoft Office 2013 $39.99 @ http://www.collegebuys.org
Microsoft Office 2013 comes in a variety of configurations-be sure to acquire one that includes Excel, Word, ACCESS, etc. ACCESS is not included in some configurations.
· If you wish to explore Microsoft Office Professional 2013 prior to purchasing it, you can download a free trial @ http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/ or http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/jj192782.aspx
purchasing new software you should always check to see if your computer
hardware can run the software. Minimum system requirements for MS Office 2013